Moving Nancy Jones: Preserving Cary’s Past
Located on modern-day Chapel Hill Road in Cary, NC, the Nancy Jones House was originally situated on a 2,000-acre estate owned by Henry Jones (1766-1841) and Nancy Ann Jones (1783-1876). Henry and his wife Nancy operated a stagecoach stop and tavern out of their house. When Henry died in 1841, Nancy continued to live in the house and operate the tavern/stagecoach stop for another 30+ years.
In 2021, the house was moved from the original location approximately 500 ft. down Chapel Hill Road. We documented the move, as well as a bit of history on the house for the Town of Cary.